The higher the challenge rating (CR) number, the more powerful the enemy. Commonly four characters of a certain level are able to defeat one creature with a CR equal to the average level of the characters with a moderate amount of difficulty.
It can be viewed by examining the creature.
- Impossible (purple): 5 or more levels higher
- Overpowering (red): 3 or 4 levels higher
- Very Difficult (orange): 1 or 2 levels higher
- Challenging (yellow): same or 1 level lower
- Moderate (blue): 2 or 3 levels lower
- Easy (green): 4 or 5 levels lower
- Effortless (white): 6 or more levels lower
It should be noted that these distinctions can become largely irrelevant on some local vault servers, simply because a player can edit his character at will and/or give their character items and weapons that far surpass the damage rating system. This is also true for any server that allows a player to reach a high level because the challenge depends more on the equipment and character build than truly on their level.