Type of feat: general (available every three level-ups)
Specifics: Bards are able to sing a song that can curse their enemies. Deafened creatures are not affected by the bard's singing. The song affects all enemies within 30 feet and lasts for 10 rounds. The higher the bard's final perform skill and class level, the more powerful the curse song.
- Requires Hordes of the Underdark.
- A curse song cannot be started while silenced, nor will it affect silenced creatures.
- Depending on the power of the song, a curse song can cause penalties to attack rolls, damage rolls, each type of saving throw (fortitude, reflex, and will), dodge armor class (AC), and skills. It can also inflict sonic damage as the song begins (listed in the below table as "HP" for "hit point damage").
- This feat shares uses with bard song. Thus, if selected by a non-bard (Harper scout is the only other class that can select this), the feat is wasted.
- This feat has no effect on characters currently influenced by a curse song. A bard should be aware of this if starting a new song before an old one expires. This also impacts opposed bards, as the visual effect of one's own curse song counts as being influenced by a curse song (meaning that a bard singing a curse song is immune to others' curse songs).
- The feat lingering song increases the duration by 5 rounds (15 rounds total). The feat lasting inspiration multiplies the duration by 10 (100 rounds total). They stack, but lasting inspiration is applied first; so, with both feats, the duration is 105 rounds.
- Despite being hostile, using curse song does not break invisibility (since it does not signal a hostile OnSpellCastAt event).
- This ability can be used while polymorphed.
- The penalty to attack provided by this ability is one way to effectively increase a bard's armor class, as all nearby enemies will need higher attack rolls to hit the bard. Furthermore, this is not affected by the +20 dodge AC bonus cap.
- The penalty to armor class provided by this ability is one way to increase a bard's attack's effectiveness without contributing to the +20 attack bonus cap.
- The perform skill required for the highest levels of curse song is unattainable without magic items.
- Prior to version 1.69, this feat could affect silenced creatures.
Custom content notes
- A custom class must have this feat in their feat list, or that class will not be able to select it as a general feat.