Specifics: When he needs to, the defender can become a stalwart bastion of defense. In this defensive stance, a defender gains phenomenal strength and durability, but he cannot move from the spot he is defending. He gains the following benefits:
At first level, this ability can be used once per day. Every 2 levels beyond 1, the dwarven defender gains an additional use per day.
Use: combat mode
- Requires Hordes of the Underdark.
- This feat does not work with ranged weapons.
- The bonuses granted by this feat are subject to the ability cap of +12, the dodge AC cap of +20, and the saving throw cap of +20.
- Defense stance mode automatically drops if the character's current target is removed and all other opponents are out of reach.
- A character in a defensive stance may manually target an out-of-reach opponent, but will not move to engage such an opponent.
- An opponent can back out of reach of a character in a defensive stance or become invisible. Since the opponent is not removed, this will not cancel the stance. On the other hand, the character will not move to re-engage this opponent.
- If a party member comes between a character and his target, the character might drop out of defensive stance mode, just as when there are no more targets.
- The defensive stance mode will often break (keeping the immobility but losing the bonuses) if the character attempts any action other than attacking. (This is likely a bug.)
- If switched from another combat mode (like expertise), defensive stance mode will not add any bonuses but will still consume a daily use. (This is likely a bug.)