Dwarves are known for their skill in warfare, their ability to withstand physical and magical punishment, their hard work, and their capacity for drinking ale. Dwarves are slow to jest and suspicious of strangers, but they are generous to those who earn their trust. They stand just 4 to 4 1/2 feet tall, but are broad and compactly built, almost as wide as they are tall. Dwarven skin varies from deep tan to light brown, and their hair is black, gray, or brown. Dwarven men value their beards highly.
Special abilities[edit | edit source]
- Stonecunning: +2 racial bonus on Search checks made in subterranean areas.
- Darkvision: Dwarves are able to see in the dark.
- Hardiness vs. poisons: +2 racial bonus on saving throws against poisons.
- Hardiness vs. spells: +2 racial bonus on saving throws against spells.
- Offensive training vs. orcs: +1 racial bonus on attack rolls against orcs.
- Offensive training vs. goblinoids: +1 racial bonus on attack rolls against goblinoids (goblins, hobgoblins, and bugbears).
- Defensive training vs. giants: +4 dodge bonus to AC against giants.
- Skill affinity (lore): +2 racial bonus to lore checks.
PC default biography[edit | edit source]
You left your mountain home seeking excitement in the human lands. The honor of your clan means everything to you, and the desire to earn the respect of your people motivates you to deeds of valor.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Often stereotyped as gruff heavy-drinkers with a general barely-contained hatred of goblins and elves.
- The stereotypical "dwarven accent" is one of the variants of Scottish accents.