Only the most bold of druids and rangers take the giant spider as a companion, but those who do are rewarded with a sly and deadly ally.
Alignment: true neutral
Armor class: 14 (including the size modifier)
Hit points: 5 to 270
Attack bonus: +1 to +28/+23/+18
at level 1: 1d4+2 slashing damage, on monster hit: medium spider venom
at level 34: 1d10+7 slashing damage, on monster hit: large spider venom
at level 35: 1d3 bludgeoning damage (unarmed strike)
Hit dice (level): 1 to 40
Challenge rating: 1/2 to 25
|fortitude||3 to 23|
|reflex||3 to 19|
|will||0 to 16|
All giant spider companions are immune to all mind-affecting spells and the specific spell web. Starting at level 15, they also become immune to disease and poison. They can cast web a number of times dependent upon their level, with a caster level equal to their hit dice, subject to a cap of 15. The bite of these companions increases in base damage and enhancement bonus as levels are gained, and at level 4, the on-hit poison improves to large spider venom.
|1||1d4||on-hit: medium spider venom|
|4||1d8||on-hit: large spider venom|
|15||1d8||+2||3x/day||immune to disease and poison|
Due to a bug, giant spider animal companions have no creature weapon from level 35 to level 40 and must resort to unarmed strikes with a base damage of 1d3 (and no enhancement bonus). The values in the above table are what the giant spider was intended to have at these levels.
- This animal companion's skills do not improve as level increases.
- The level 8 version is bugged in that its armor class is 1 higher than it should be (compared to the other giant spider companions).
- The level 10 and 14 versions of this creature have no skill ranks (a bug).
- The level 18 version is bugged in that it has no uses per day of its web ability.
- The level 35 to 40 versions of this companion are bugged in that they have no creature weapon and must fight unarmed. This means they lose their enhancement bonus, deal less base damage, and provoke attacks of opportunity.
- A fix for these bugs is available here.