|2: lesser dispel|
3: dispel magic
6: greater dispelling
9: Mordenkainen's disjunction
Innate level: 5
Components: verbal, somatic
Range: medium (20 meters)
Area of effect:
colossal large (5 meter radius) or single
Description: Greater dispelling attempts to strip all magical effects from a single target. It can also target a group of creatures, attempting to remove the most powerful spell effect from each creature. To remove an effect, the caster makes a dispel check of 1d20 + 1 per caster level (to a maximum of +15) against a DC of 11 + the spell effect's caster level.
- The area of effect is large; the spell description incorrectly lists it as colossal.
- The in-game description of this spell erroneously reports that it is affected by spell resistance; greater dispelling does not check spell resistance.
- If used as an area of effect, this spell will also attempt to dispel any area of effect spells centered in affected area.
- Most of the spells of a level 25 caster are immune to greater dispelling, as the dispeller's best possible roll is 35 (20+15), while the DC is 36 (11+25). The exceptions involve vagaries in determining the effective caster level; see dispel for details.
Previous versions Edit
- Prior to patch 80.8193.13, an effect's caster's level had been added to 12, not 11, to get the dispel DC, even though the in-game text has always claimed "11". This meant that the spells of a caster with a level as low as 24 were immune to this spell.
Custom content notes Edit