7: greater sanctuary
Description: The caster becomes ethereal. No other creature can detect the caster. Attacking or performing a hostile action will make the etherealness vanish.
- Added in the expansion packs.
- Summoning a creature is not considered a hostile action, but a new hostile effect from a previously-cast spell is.
- Combining this spell with improved invisibility allows creatures to ignore the etherealness of greater sanctuary. (A bug, since at least version 1.68.) Relogging into a multiplayer server will sometimes fix this bug (but may have other, possibly detrimental, effects).
- Those affected by greater sanctuary cannot be directly targeted, but are affected by anything with an area of effect. Even Isaac's greater missile storm, manticore spikes, and hail of arrows will apply normally even though these areas of effect individually target creatures with their projectiles.
- This spell allows the caster to simply bypass many enemies without conflict. (Some may find this unbalancing.)
- This spell is sometimes called "etherealness", particularly in the documentation for certain versions of the game.
Previous versions Edit
- Prior to version 1.69, this spell did not have a somatic component, so it could be cast while wearing full armor and shield, ignoring arcane spell failure.
Custom content notes Edit
- The NWScript constant for this spell reflects its pre-release name: SPELL_ETHEREALNESS.