Half-elves have the curiosity and ambition of their human parent, with the refined senses and love of nature of their elven parent, though they are outsiders among both cultures. To humans, half-elves look like elves. To elves, they look like humans. Half-elves are paler, fairer, and smoother-skinned than their human parents, but their actual skin tones and other details vary just as human features do. Half-elves tend to have green, elven eyes. They live to about 180 years.
Special abilities[edit | edit source]
- Sleeplessness: Immune to spells and effects of the 'Sleep' subtype.
- Hardiness vs. Enchantments: +2 racial bonus on saving throws against mind-affecting spells.
- Partial Skill Affinity (Listen): +1 racial bonus to listen checks.
- Partial Skill Affinity (Search): +1 racial bonus to Search checks.
- Partial Skill Affinity (Spot): +1 racial bonus to Spot checks.
- Low-light Vision: Allows them to see better than normal in the dark.
PC default biography[edit | edit source]
"You inherited your elven parent's racial wanderlust, and that coupled with your natural human ambition makes you a born adventurer."
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Half-elves are one of the least popular race choices due to it lacking features compared to the feat and skill point benefits of Humans and the weapon proficiency, ability adjustments and Keen Sense of Elves. Effectively, many players view Humans and Elves as better options for the same circumstances. Half-elves share "Favored Class (Any)" with Humans, but the remaining race bonuses are equal or weaker versions of those that Elves receive (except that Half-elves do not have the Elf -2 constitution penalty).
- Certain class combinations without an XP penalty exist for Arcane Archer builds if half-elf is chosen. e.g. One may take a single Bard or Sorcerer level to meet the arcane caster requirement for Arcane Archer, take the other levels leading up to Arcane Archer in another class, and still not suffer an XP penalty. Half-elf is also a viable choice for those who want to become an Arcane Archer with the Zen Archery feat (thus not needing the elf bonus to dexterity) without suffering from the Elf's constitution penalty.