- This article is about the epic spell; for the prerequisite feat, see Epic spell: hellball.
Description: The caster creates a ball of energy that does 10d6 points of acid, fire, electrical and sonic damage to all targets in its blast radius.
Special: Epic spells are not affected by arcane spell failure from armor, nor can they be interrupted, countered, or dispelled.
Spellcraft prerequisite: 32
- Requires Hordes of the Underdark.
- Evasion does not apply to this spell.
- The caster is subject to the damage from the spell if caught in the blast.
- If the spell would do more than 50 damage to a target before immunities and damage resistance are considered, then the target will be knocked prone for 3 seconds. Though possibly intended as a variable effect, the chance of avoiding this knockdown is negligible (well under 1%), even if the save is made.
- As this spell has no descriptor, bonuses to particular types of saving throws (such as versus acid, fire, electricity, or sonic) do not apply.
- Normally, casting this spell produces a projectile that circles the target for a few seconds before the spell goes off. Targeting this spell on the caster will skip the projectile, causing the spell to go off immediately.
- The caster takes 10d6 negative energy damage upon casting if the switch
MODULE_SWITCH_EPIC_SPELLS_HURT_CASTERhas been enabled by the module builder. Undead casters will be harmed by this damage. (This damage does not count towards determining whether the caster is knocked prone.)
- Some feel this spell has limited use by the time it is acquired, since its damage is dealt across the different elements. For example, the level 5 spell energy buffer is capable of completely absorbing the average damage from a hellball even with a failed save, while a standard ring of elemental resistance is capable of absorbing most of the average damage — excluding sonic — with a successful save. Similarly, a creature such as a vrock (CR 10) can resist all but the sonic damage with a successful save.
See also: greater ruin (the other epic attack spell)
Custom content notes Edit