Wiki Targeted (Games)
Do you like this video?
Parry allows the character to block incoming attacks and make spectacular counterattacks.
- Ability: dexterity
- Classes: barbarian, bard, blackguard, champion of Torm, cleric, druid, dwarven defender, fighter, monk, paladin, ranger, red dragon disciple, rogue
- Cross-class: yes
- Check: The difficulty class is the modified attack roll of the incoming blow. A successful parry means that the attack does not damage the parrying character. A character may only parry a number of attacks per round equal to the number of attacks per round available to the character.
- Special: Wearing armor may incur a penalty to the roll. If the parry is successful and the difference between the roll and the DC is ten points or greater, a counterattack occurs. A counterattack is a free attack made by the parrying character, at his full attack bonus, against the parried opponent.
- Use: Select the parry mode. The character will remain in parry mode until the mode is exited.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Parry is a combat mode, so cannot be used at the same time as other combat modes.
- Parry applies only in melee combat; it does not function if either the attacker or defender is using a ranged weapon.
- This skill was reduced from its original (pre-release) state and is considerably less effective than it may sound. Parry can only deflect the first attack in each of the three flurries in a round (for example, parrying an opponent with 5 attacks per round will only attempt to block the first, third, and fifth attacks).
- Riposte attacks are made with the character's normal (descending) attack bonus, not at full bonus each time. Thus if a character has an attack schedule of +16/+11/+6 and successfully ripostes two attacks, the riposte attacks will be at +16 then +11, not at +16 each time.
- The parry skill applies to both the attack roll and the critical hit confirmation roll.
- Automatic hits (natural 20 attack rolls) cannot be parried.
See also: improved parry
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.