A potion contains a single use of a specific spell.
Potions can be created using the brew potion feat.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Potions can only be used on the player's character; they cannot target a location or item. For example, a bless potion will cast bless centered on the user (allies in the area of effect will still benefit), but it cannot target a location on the ground or a crossbow bolt in inventory like the normal bless spell.
- If the difficulty setting "hardcore" or higher, drinking a potion incurs an attack of opportunity.
- Potions can be "fed" to an associate by dropping the potion from the player inventory onto either the associate's portrait or their representation in the 3D game environment.
- Fed potions use the player's character as the caster. This is relevant, for example, when domains could affect the spell. It also means that any attacks of opportunity will be on the player's character, not the associate.
- Some spells always affect the caster, hence potions of those spells will affect the player's character even when fed to an associate. This includes all summoning spells, plus some spells with "personal" range. The impacted spells that a builder can assign to potions are aura of glory, blood frenzy, camouflage, divine favor, elemental shield, entropic shield, globe of invulnerability, identify, minor globe of invulnerability, one with the land, shield, Tenser's transformation, and true strike. Other impacted potions are listed in the brew potion article.
- Fed potions with subspells automatically choose the first variant (topmost option in the radial menu).
Builder notes[edit | edit source]
- Spell scripts that assume the spell's target is
OBJECT_SELF, rather than
GetSpellTargetObject(), will affect the player's character when a potion of that spell is fed to an associate.
- Summoning effects will create an associate of the caster unless the effect is applied to a different creature. Most summoning spells instead apply the effect at a location, hence the summoned creature becomes an associate of the caster. (The exception is elemental swarm, but since that spell applies its effect to OBJECT_SELF, the summons are still of the caster.)
Standard potions[edit | edit source]
Several potions are available in the standard game resources. Some are listed here, along with their description, associated spell, and (in parentheses) caster level.
- Potion of antidote
- neutralize poison (5)
- This tonic is sovereign against venoms, mineral toxins, diseases, and poisons of all sorts.
- Potion of barkskin
- barkskin (3)
- This thick concoction smells dark and musty, like a forest after heavy rains.